Wednesday 10 August 2011

Lazing On A Sunny Afternoon.....

J returned to England this afternoon, flying with the truly appalling Ryanair shower to Stansted from our nearest local airport, Almeria.  When I left her at the airport, the flight was already scheduled as likely to be about 30 minutes late. So, hopefully, it went okay, when it went!

I struggled back along the coast and up into the hills in high August temps. It was reading about 30 degrees in the shade when I got back to the house about 15:00. Only now is it beginning to cool a bit, with a light refreshing breeze from time to time. Thankfully.

Beginning to get used to the heat here but it's still overpowering at times. We think we must have some air conditioning installed just so we can sleep easier at night.

Jack has been to the hairdresser again. Only 20 Euros for a good, fast all-over cut. It must be so much better for him. He was panting a bit and finding it tiresome, I'm sure:





The dog-groomer keeps horses and has recently lost her own dog, which took off with a pack of wandering hounds a few weeks ago and hasn't been seen since. Sadly, she doesn't expect to see it again.

From her home, a rambling old farmhouse accesssed at the end of a long, twisty dusty track, there were good views of the highest peak in mainland Spain, Mulhacen. Even now, with months of frying temps behind us and more to come, there are pockets of snow on its flanks:



She also has fine general views across to one of the nearby towns, Cadiar, which used to be much loved by visiting Brits due to it having a few decentish bars, banks and builders merchants:



Those bloody Olive trees are ubiquitous hereabouts, though she also had wonderfully fragrant, Pepper trees growing around the house. It's the first time I've come across these and they really are lovely. A local author, Chris Stewart, wrote a book a few years ago which referred to these things and still I hadn't taken on board the fact that they grow abundantly locally:



I was out on foot a few days ago, heading down to the village centre then back up - wearily in the heat - to the house. Each time I go on foot, I use a different route, set of pitched lanes. It's a good way to get to know the place again. As I laboured up this lane:

past this unusual, semi-demolished building:



And this strange Brit-owned confection, where the garage has been turned into a pool of sorts (discoloured, a tad, I'd say):



I was attacked and bitten on the right elbow by a sodding horsefly, one of my least favourite of God's creatures. I am sort of allergic to these things and normally a bite causes the area concerned to swell to at least double size, turn red/purple and ache very badly. It also generally makes me nauseous and I retire to bed for a few days till it settles down. This time, however, I was close to home and able to get some Anthistan on the puncture site very quickly, so the inconvenience was more an itchy dull ache that lasted a few days and meant I didn't have to do the Sleeping Beauty bit at all! Something of a first for me. It must be a degree of immunity that I've built up from Sweden where these horrid things were numerous and ferocious. 

Each evening, J and I ate out on one of the terraces and these lovely, delicate Moths arrived, attracted by the lighting, in great numbers:



I don't know yet quite what it is, but I will keep searching for information.  I checked out some stuff on 't'internet and discovered to my horror that Black Widow Spiders are present around here, so although I generally quite like Spiders, I'll be aiming to give those a positive miss!

J is back on Tuesday afternoon for a few short days, then back to UK followed by a return, flying from Bristol, with the Grandsprog, Hamish. She's really looking forward to his visit and has spent much of her recent break planning days out with the lad. There is a local, outdoor  swimming pool and bar area just outside the village, so that is on the cards along with some trips down to the coast:



And finally, my new mug arrived in one piece. Most welcome it is. I'm very pleased with it. 'Tis excellent. Thanks again to Gwynneth: www.gwynnethrixonceramics.co.uk:


It's perfect, especially for my morning hot chocolate!





3 comments:

  1. Commiserations about the horsefly bite.
    I could do with some proper heat here, and sun. It feels as if we've slipped from Spring to Autumn, and my beans and cucumbers are slow!!!
    Frustrating as I know I have a market for the surplus.

    Good to see the mug in use. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see Gwynneth's pottery making it round the world. Now, I must get one myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful mug!

    Sorry to hear you've been bitten, hope it gets betters.

    Thanks again for more fantastic pictures, I love seeing photos of where you've explored.

    AS FOR JACK, WHAT A HANSOME FELLOW! MORE JACK PHOTOS PLEASE!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete